A top Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday pie recipe, this apple pie with fresh Granny Smith apples and fresh orange peel is nestled in a flaky pie crust made with Crisco shortening.
A Touch of Orange Apple Pie Recipe
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Yield: 8 servings
INGREDIENTS: Double Crust Classic Crisco Pie Crust
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 7 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples, about 2 pounds or 7 medium
- 2 tablespoons butter
- PREPARE recipe for double crust pie, using a 9-inch pie plate. Roll out dough for bottom crust and place in pie plate according to recipe directions.
- HEAT oven to 400ºF.
- COMBINE sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, orange peel, salt and nutmeg in small bowl. Place apples in unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples. Dot with butter. Moisten pastry edge with water.
- ROLL out dough for top crust, place onto filled pie and finish edges according to recipe directions. Cut slits in top crust or prick with fork to vent steam.
- BAKE 35 minutes. Remove pie from oven. Brush with milk. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edge of pie with foil, if necessary, to prevent overbrowning. Bake 10 minutes or until filling in center is bubbly and crust is golden brown.
Sources and Photo Credits: Recipes and photos used with permission by Crisco.com.