Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread
Tuesdays With Dorie's recipe this week, was chosen by Heather of Sherry Trifle. You can find the recipe on page 212 of Dorie Greenspan's book, Baking: From My Home To Yours. As always, you can find the Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread recipe at Heather's blog. Thanks Heather! It was a great pick!
This recipe was easier than I had expected. I've made my share of various gingerbread in the past. For obvious reasons, they always come out a little different than the previous gingerbread. Dorie's gingerbread was unique. This gingerbread had REAL ginger in it! I bought a twisted and knarly looking piece of ginger root, peeled the "bark" off it and grated it with my trusty Microplane grater/zester. I love that kitchen gadget! It makes it so easy to grate fresh ginger! Check out my Kitchen Gadgets, you'll see the Microplane is one of my favorites!
This gingerbread also had chocolate in it' I used bittersweet chocolate that I bought from Trader Joe's. It was a large 17 ounce bar, and it was rather cheap too! I chopped 2 ounces and melted it, then added it to the batter. Then, I folded the rest of the chopped chocolate into the batter before I spread the batter in the pan.
Chocolate Icing or Frosting?
The recipe calls for icing, but I wanted something thicker and more spreadable. I used the same ingredients, I just added way more confectioners' sugar, Nutella for that extra zing! and a little milk to make it smooth. I also whipped it with the mixer. I think either frosting or icing would work. BUT, and here's a BIG butt! If you do choose to make this recipe, make a double batch of icing or frosting. There will NOT be enough for the whole pan, and it will look skimpy. You'll just end up making another batch, so save yourself the time and aggravation, and make enough the first time!
You can find more Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread by gawking at the Tuesdays With Dorie blogroll!
Tis the season for Gingerbread, so I gathered up some more noteworthy Gingerbread recipes for you:
- Old-Fashioned Gingerbread Recipe by me from my collection of recipes at Suite101!
- Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread by My Cookbook Addiction. Everything Lilianna makes is delicious! This is no exception!
- Ginger-Vitis by Spork or Foon. If you're a South Park fan, you're gonna pee your pants laughing!
- Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread by Bake-En. Cute and adorable little gingerbreads!
- Gingerbread, Bananas & Caramel by Holly from PheMOMenon. Utterly amazing! You have to see it to believe it!
- Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread by The Food Librarian. Delicious gingerbread, so real you could lick it off the screen!
- Fresh Ginger and Chocolate Gingerbread by Engineer Baker. Caitlin made scrumptious looking Gingerbread Parfaits. Now, why didn't I think of that?