Watermelon Fizzy Lifting Drinks
The Last Taste Of Summer?
I made some cocktails about a month ago, in the heat of summer. Ooooh, they were refreshing! I took pictures of the watermelon slices, pureed the watermelon, strained the watermelon, chilled the watermelon, made the watermelon cocktails, and then we drank them without any thought to photograph them! I'll bet you're thinking, "What a ditz!" All I could think of was how good and cold those drinks looked. I wanted one then, not later! It was hot out. The ice would melt!
Hours after they were gone, I glanced over at the camera and sighed...no, I said a naughty word! I was so upset, mostly with myself for forgetting to take pictures. John just laughed and said. "At least we got to drink them before the ice melted! You can always make more!"
One day last week, it was hot again. I had a watermelon in the cooler. I still had half a bottle of gin. I had a lemon. I have a pot of mint growing on the deck. Bingo! I was in the cocktail business again!
This was a great chance to use the new Cuisinart Immersion Blender I got for my birthday from my daughter Kerri. I suppose you could also puree it in a blender, but I didn't have one, so there was no other choice. You do have to strain the juice from the fruit, and that seems to be the biggest time waster, but it needs to be done. I don't have cheesecloth, so I folded a few pieces of paper towel and placed it in a colander. I poured the pureed watermelon over it and let it drip through on its own. When it was almost done draining, I gently pulled up the soaked paper towels and squeezed the rest of the juice out. After that, it's a piece of cake!
Use a good gin like Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray. It does make a difference.
So, without any more blah, blah, blah, here's my best Watermelon Gin Fizz Cocktail. It's inspired and adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine. Because this drink is cute and pink, it could be classified as a Girly drink or a Chick cocktail, like Cosmopolitans. But you know what? Girly drink or not, John and all the guys at the pizza party loved them too!
Summer's not over yet! Have a virtual Watermelon Gin Fizz with us on our sailboat overlooking the bay!
Watermelon Gin Fizz Cocktail
- 4 cups strained watermelon juice
- 20 mint leaves, chopped fine
- 2 cups simple syrup, room temperature
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 3 cups Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray gin, chilled
- Mint sprigs for garnish
- Club soda, chilled
- Ice cubes
- Make simple syrup by bringing 1 cup of white sugar and 1 cup of water to a boil. Boil until all the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and let cool.
- Cut up 1 small seedless watermelon (remember to cut the rind off!) and with an immersion blender or stand blender, puree it with 20 chopped mint leaves. Strain though cheesecloth or paper towels until you have 4 cups of juice.
- Chill watermelon juice, simple syrup and lemon juice until cold.
- Chill gin until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, add cold gin to chilled juice and pour over ice.
- Add a splash of club soda and garnish with mint sprigs.
- Invite some friends over, turn on a Jimmy Buffet CD, put your feet up, and chill!
- Serves a lot!